As you have probably gathered, my family does what works for us. We aren't bound by traditions. This is especially true of holidays. We have our similar format, sure, but we go with the flow depending on where our family is. For example, we used to do a later breakfast/brunch around 11. Can't really wait for breakfast that late with kiddos, and let's face it, Allison and my blood sugar. So this year, we had a simple but yummy breakfast of homemade gf cinnamon rolls, fruit with dip, bacon, and mini-egg quiches. I found this delicious recipe originally in Cooking Light a few years ago. It's so easy and versatile! You can also make this in a regular size muffin tin as well.
Ingredients
8 ounces ground turkey sausage (I like Jeanie-O. I do think regular sausage would be too greasy)
1 T Butter
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/2 cup shredded cheese of your choice (I used mozzarella and Parmesan)
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
8 eggs (the original recipe called for 5 eggs and 3 whites, but I didn't think they were as good)
1 cup milk of your choice
Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a nonstick mini-muffin tin generously with cooking spray. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add butter to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each mini muffin cup.
Now then, let's say you wanted another variation. So Christmas morning, I filled 24 mini cups with the sausage mixture per above. Then, I got another pan and put shredded sharp cheddar and diced smoked turkey in the cups. The combinations are endless and can go with whatever veggies are in season or whatever meat you have lying around.
Once you have the goods in the cup, it's time to to prepare your eggs. Whisk eggs and milk in a bowl just like you were going to scramble them. Pour egg mixture in each mini-muffin cup until full. Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, around 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before trying to remove them or they will fall apart. Once they have cooled a little, loosen the sides of each little quiche with a knife. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely, or do what I did and throw in a Tupperware and serve. :) Though this seems like nothing extraordinary, I promise, this is a great recipe and definitely worth trying!
To make ahead, individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for a grab and go breakfast, or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on high for 30 to 60 seconds. These would be a good idea for gluten free lunches for kiddos. My nephews thought they were tasty! We ate these too fast to take a picture, so I am sure Cooking Light would be fine with me using their picture, right!?
Sunday, January 02, 2011
Mini Quiche
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment