This week, the touchscreen became "unresponsive." So today, I called customer service. As we were trying to fix my problem by resetting the phone, the representative starts giving me his sales pitch on an upgrade for only $99. I quickly said, "Let's not be hasty. I think the phone is fixable. " He went on to explain me that my phone had way too many issues to fix, although he only knew of the one. He tried to convince me that if I signed 2 years of services, he'd ship the phone out immediately. I laughed arrogantly at his sales pitch, deeming myself too smart to fall for that. I instead headed to the phone store, insistent on getting it fixed. I loved my phone and just wanted it to be fixed so I could go about my day. And besides that, I try to live a green lifestyle and not waste things, so don't even try to get me with your sales pitch. Ridiculous.
While they were looking at my phone, shiny things caught my eyes and I was overcome with the "need" for a new phone. The sales woman was pitching the new Android system to me, though she could tell me NOTHING about it when I asked. I was convinced, in 5 minutes... I knew my destiny. A new phone. I had decided there was nothing they could do to resurrect my "old, ancient" phone and it wasn't good enough anymore. It was scratchy and ugly and below me.
I was recalculating my budget in my head, ready to sign my little life away to a new contract. When all of the sudden, out of no where, the service tech came up and handed me my phone. It was fixed with a new screen, looking brand new and shiny. So of course, my attention was back on my own, personal shiny little toy in front of me. The sales lady noticed that I was looking at the new phone.
Her: "That is the phone I have and it is amazing. I have had 37 phones in the last 5 years and it's my favorite."
Me, totally missing her sales pitch: "37 phones? Whatever for?"
Her: "Oh I because I just LOVE phones! You will love this phone. It's amazing."
That's the point I realized that consumerism had almost gotten the best of me as well, and I snapped back to reality.
Me: "Wait, is my phone fixed?"
Her: "Yes. Do you want to look at the new phone?"
Me: "Completely fixed... like it's good as new?"
Her: "Yes. Are you interested..."
I walked out of the phone store, humbled, with my normal phone. I was happy as this was my initial plan, but I could not stop thinking about how quickly I responded to this Pavlov's dog thing of consumerism I began salivating at something new and shiny when I had an excellent tool already at my fingertips. Next time I think I will knock down my arrogance that I am above being targeted and up my defense!
No comments:
Post a Comment