Saturday, November 07, 2009

Tastey Fuel On the Go

Oh, heavenly goodness. I have been on a quest to find a good power bar recipe. I am not a fan of the premade ones for several reason, but mainly for the expense. And because "these bars may or may not have been in a building that may or may not have had wheat products." I am looking no more. These little guys from Elena's Pantry are a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Yes, they are naturally gluten free. No, they are not just a food for gluten free peeps. I have had several nutrition-minded friends try them, and they have all asked for the recipe. Try them today. They are loaded with healthy fats, protein, and just good food. And the coconut oil makes them taste so clean... and don't worry if you don't love coconut. You can barely taste it. I have included a picture for reference below from Elena's Pantry. Enjoy and let me know what you think!


Almond Power Bars
2 cups almonds (raw)
½ cup flax meal
½ cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
½ cup unsalted almond or peanut butter
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup coconut oil
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup dark chocolate (if so desired)

1. Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor briefly, about 10 seconds.
2. Heat the coconut oil until melted. Add agave and vanilla.
3. Add coconut oil mixture to food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste
4. Press mixture into a lightly sprayed 8 x 8 glass baking dish
5. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour, until mixture hardens
6. If desired, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously. Spread melted chocolate over bars; return to refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
Remove from refrigerator, cut into bars and serve
Makes 20 bars.


No comments: