Friday, November 26, 2004

Traffic

Whew! It's been a while. What a great Thanksgiving. I got to go home, be with the fam, be with my extended family, and just relax. On my way out of town on Thanksgiving Eve, there was a wreck on I40 west, completely shutting down the interstate to 1 lane. Here is one of the greatest perills of life. I truly don't understand this... You sit in traffic for 1-2 hours. Total standstill. No one is going ANYWHERE. You could shut your car off for 10 minutes if you really wanted to, and only turn it on to move 1/8 of an inch every so often. There's no point in being one of those people who gets impatient, because really, what's that going to accomplish. (Did that guy behind me REALLY think honking his horn was going to part the interstate and traffic would clear up spontaneously?) But we've all been there, inching on for an hour to go one mile, our imaginations growing and growing at the scene we will see. We imagine cars everywhere, firetrucks, ambulances, debri everywhere, who knows. But no, it is INEVITABLE that I get up to the wreck and what do I find? Nothing. MAYBE a wrecker. Maybe, but he is always off to the side. A policeman is laughing and slapping him on the back. No car is actually blocking the roadway. And all of the sudden, in one split second, I go from sitting with miles of cars in front of me feeling as though THIS is how I am gonna go :), to full highway speed. How is this? I will never cease to be amazed.

No comments: