Friday, November 12, 2004

Meeting Mrs. Impatient Pants

So I was at Hobby Lobby this evening. And I was ready to checkout. I was waiting line behind 3 people. Only two registers were opened. The line I was in, and then another with a lady exchanging what appeared to be one of everything in the store. But I have just come to a point in life to where I am not going to get all huffy waiting in line, because really, what is that going to accomplish? Is that really going to make things happen faster? Is that really going to make people respect me? So I use it as a time to watch people and their reactions. Well, tonight I got a good show. This lady came up behind me after I had been waiting for about 10 minutes. After she had been in line for no more than 1 minute, she began to huff. You know when people exhale loudly to get attention, and nobody acknowledges them so they do it again? Such was this lady. She huffed several times and when she got the picture I wasn't going to drop my items and turn with baited breath to beg her tell me what was on her mind, she said, "EXCUSE ME!" I turned and said, "Yes?" "Excuse me," she said, " But are YOU telling ME that this is the ONLY line opened. ARE YOU TELLING ME that that lady is exchanging all that stuff and this is the ONLY LINE OPENED?" I mean, what do you say? I know she wanted me to throw my purchases at the cash register and join her in starting a riot, but I didn't have the energy or the desire. So after she asked me all this, I simply turned to her and gave the obvious answer that probably made her want to club me. I said, "I don't know mam. I don't work here." You just have to have fun with people...

No comments: