Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hoppin John

I know I have posted this recipe before, but please don't forget to make it. Especially in this "Am I hot or cold, I can't make up my mind" weather. This is so good it deserved a repost. WITHOUT FAIL, every time I have made it the following comments are made...
1) It smells phenomenal in here!
2) I have never heard of this before!
3) Oh. My. This is AMAZING!
4) Can I have the recipe?
5) (Via text within the same week)... I just made Hoppin' John for my family and they LOVED IT!

So try it! It is a crowd pleaser. I have made it for probably about 50 people (not all at the same time) and EVERYONE, even the pickiest, loved it.



Ingredients
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup chopped smoked ham
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (15-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
2 (10-oz.) cans rotel, undrained
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups chicken broth (water works too but broth loads it up with flavor so you don't have to use as much butter)
2 T butter
1/2 cup quick grits
1 cup cheese

Preparation
1. Melt oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add ham and onion, and saute 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in black-eyed peas, tomatoes, corn, and sugar. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
2. In a separate pan, bring chicken broth and butter to a boil over medium-high. heat. Gradually add grits in, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat, stir in shredded cheese. I also like to add a few splashes of Tabasco.
3. Remove stew from heat, and stir in cilantro. Serve immediately over your grits. One dish wonder, ladies and gentleman.

No comments: