We tried to have a "green minded" Christmas and simplify as much as possible. It's really not that hard, and you probably do way more to that goal than you realize. Was everything we gave conscientiously chosen? No, of course not. It's all about steps, people. Here are some ways we achieved that...
Homemade gifts... Allison gave us all family calendars. I gave granola. Mom gave me huge bags of homemade gluten free trail mix. Nanga gave us pictures from our childhood. Daddy gave us vintage signs that were in his grandparent's house. These always turn out to be some of the most meaningful gifts as well.
Give things they have to buy anyway... For our stocking stuffers, we have moved away from random useless trinkets and instead get things for each other that we use daily and would have bought anyway. You know you are a grownup if this excites you. :) Items given and gleefully received included lotions, bar soaps, jellies, coffee k-cups, socks, and speciality cooking items (such as gf flour for yours truly).
Include a few toys/activities to kiddos that promote decreased energy usage... I always fuss over what to get my nephews. Not because they are picky, but because they truly want for nothing. So I usually end up getting them books or art projects or anything that can help pass their time and spark creativity by using no energy but their own. JT got a jump rope, UNO, and some cool stencils where you can design different animal and people faces. Isaac got books and musical instruments.
Isaac is well into his 2's. He finds joy in the little things. :)
I LOVE how much my nephews adore reading. They get more excited weekly trip to the library than anything else.
Santa brought JT a construction hat to wear when he goes to visit their new house that's being built. Here he is modeling it with "Pop" my dad. 
I am so excited that JT is getting old enough to enjoy playing games. He, Nanga and I enjoyed several rounds of UNO.
The boys with "Grandmama"" (my mom).
The whole brood on my parents front porch. I know what you're thinking... "Wow everyone looks so calm and happy." Don't be fooled. This took about 10 takes with Isaac crying and Jon Thomas talking 90 miles a minute. This picture was the best we had, even though my dad is in pain from the sun. :)
Allison graciously took a break from being supermom to take this picture with me. 
No comments:
Post a Comment