Monday, June 16, 2008

Birthday in the rounds

Today, I turned 28. I am a firm believer in spreading your birthday out and celebrating with all those special to you. This year was no different

Saturday night, 6 of my closest girlfriends (Bethy, Amy Fulbright, Amy Rieder, Amy Glisson, Mary Pullias, and Mandy) gave me a birthday party. Knowing my favorite food is Italian, Mary Pullias transformed her back patio into the cutest Italian Country Cafe. She served Chicken Marsala, Risotto with Lemon Zest, and Roasted Zucchini. We ate cheesecake cupcakes for dessert and sipped on just the right amount of Vino. We sat and talked for 3 hours about life, just enjoying each other for the unique and colorful individuals we are. It was fabulous. I could not ask for better friends. They are so good to me.

Sunday morning I got up and drove back to Memphis for a conference. Sunday night, my sweet Nanga (my Dad's mom) drove down and met me at my hotel. She took me to Macaroni Grill, where we split Tuscon pizza and Parmesan sole. She was just what my soul and spirit needed. She is the most gentle, loving spirit. I am so blessed. Back at the hotel, she sat by the whirlpool while I did my 10 minutes of straight leg kicks, per Doctor Elrod. We caught up and she gave me just the words I needed to hear. She shared some stories that reminded me of the amazing lady that she is. Did you know she is almost 82 and she is on no medicines? She is a firm believer in chiropractors and natural living, and has no medicines except for her daily vitamins. What a blessing to spend time with her and to have her as an example in my life.

This morning, I woke up to go back to the conference and she had put a birthday candle in the complimentary bar of soap. Very sweet. She headed on her way and I headed to the conference.

Tonight, I met with my boss and a new Speech Pathologist, one whom I interviewed a few weeks ago, for some orientation. Afterwards, my wonderful boss took me to a delightful dinner at Houston's. I am so blessed with my job, but especially with my boss. She is so real in her expectations and wants the best for me in my career and personal life. This is not sucking up- she doesn't even know I have a blog. She's 2years older than me and we share similar outlooks on life, yet she always challenges me with new situations and ideas. It's funny that as I get older, I get so much out of just talking to people and learning their pasts and interests and what makes them THEM. For dinner, I had 2 of the best crab cakes I have ever had, along with red cabbage (had NO idea that I liked that so much) and steamed broccoli. We had a 5 nut brownie sundae for dessert. (Can you tell food is very important in celebration to me????)

This coming weekend I am going home to my 10th year High school Reunion, and I will celebrate with all the Martin's. We're grilling out. :) It's fun to celebrate, to relax on your eating, and just to be with the people who add to the layers of who you are. Here's to another life-filled year.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

Hey,
Happy late birthday! I am glad you had a good several day long celebration. Those are always the most fun. I'm afraid we won't be coming to see you guys this year. I can't imagine driving and we are both working a ton right now. I am sure that next year will be a better go.