Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Confusion...

I work with the sweetest old people. So sometimes I feel like the biggest jerk b/c I find my patience tested sometimes in therapy when a patient I have been working with for a month isn't showing much progress, or when they can't for the life of them seem to remember something we go over every day. That is a big shortcoming of mine. I am working on that, and I try so hard not to show my frustration when I do feel it, because it's short lived, and it's not anything worth getting impatient about. And if I am frustrated, imagine how they must feel that they can't remember they way they used to. The last thing I want to show them is my disappointment, because they seem to really thrive off of my opinion about their status. My job can be very bittersweet. Today, it seemed as though every single one of my clients was having an off day. This happens. No big deal. But when you see 3 people in a row and experience three different people's off day and are in the big middle of it, it can make you question if what you are doing is actually helping. Now that I am home, it's funny to look back on the conversation I had today with one of my dear little patients. He is confused as the day is long, and we are trying to work on his confusion.

Me: What day is it today? (working on orientation to time)
Sweet little 90 year old man: I don't know. It couldn't be Sunday, could it?
Me: No, not Sunday.
Patient: Hmm.... let me think. It couldn't be Sunday could it?
Me: No sir, it's not Sunday. Yesterday was Wednesday.
Pt: Well then it must be Thursday.
Me: That's right. Very good.
Pt: Well that wasn't very good.
Me: It's okay. Do you know what month it is?
Pt: August, September, October, November, December.... Well it must be December, dear.
Me: No. It's not December. Look at what I am wearing. I am not dressed for December. Can you think what month it could be?
Pt: January, Feb, March, April... Well it must be December.
Me: No, sir. We just had a big Holiday. Do you remember what holiday we just celebrated?
We just celebrated the 4th...
Pt: 4th of July. That's right. We just celebrated firecracker day.
Me: Right!
Pt: I hope no children's little hands got blown off when they were holding the firecrackers. Do you think they are okay?
Me: Yes sir, all the children I have seen have their hands in place. I think they are fine. Now can you tell me...
Pt: Sobbing Because they just aren't careful these days. You never know what can happen and those firecrackers are just not safe and their little hands...

I stop here to hug him and console him and kiss his hand and calm him down. He is such a sweet man. He really struggles with his emotions, so I just let him cry when he needs to.

Me: (after he calms down and segway back into therapy): So what month is it?
Pt: Is it July honey?
Me: Yes
Pt: Yes, we just celebrated the 4th of July. Those sweet children (voice begins to waiver)-
Me (interjecting): You are right! It is July. So what Season is it?
Pt: Well let's see, if it is December, it must be winter.
Me: No, it's July.
Pt: That's right. We just celebrated Firecracker day!
Me: Correct. So what season is it.
Pt: Could it be early spring?
Me: It's summer.
Pt: It's summer.
Me: It's summer. And what day is it?
Pt: Could it be Sunday, dear?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Who knew you would end up being the most patient person I've ever met?!!

You are dear for taking the time you do with these patients. I'm proud of you!