Sunday, October 03, 2010

CSA Catch up: Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole

Well, it's definitely been a while since I have posted about the CSA. Honestly, it's because I have been less than excited about the veggies over the past month. And that has nothing to do with our wonderful farmers. Beets, radishes, green peppers, and mustard greens just aren't my thing, no matter HOW HARD I try to like them. That's one of the downside of being a member of a CSA. The upside is, I would never know how much I like cabbage, bok choy, or the various varieties of gourds if not for the fact that I received them in my CSA. Being that this is my 3rd year to participate in a CSA, obviously the pros outweigh the cons for me. But it's definitely something to think about if you are contemplating taking it on. Here is one of picture from some of my boxes over the past month...



And here is today's. I must say I was very excited about this week's box. Although the beets and white radishes will go to my coworker, I am liking the delicata squash. And I definitely like summer squash, patty squash (great in stir fry), snap beans, bok choy, and lettuce. I love lettuce. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't just much on it by itself, but I sure do love it. I have been pretty proud of the way I have kept up with my veggie drawer this summer. I have not fallen too far behind. The only things I have left from the past few boxes are a bag of purple hull peas, a butternut squash, a small pumpkin, and some sweet potatoes.

Stir fry is definitely on the menu this week! I am also using the lettuce as an excuse to make crunchy tacos, which is probably one of my favorite foods. I am also going to make this brown rice and lentil casserole from my friend Elizabeth. Don't worry if that sounds too healthy for you. It's covered with cheese, and her children love it! It came from the 5 Dollar Dinners website. Have you guys seen this website? It is by a very resourceful mom who cooks healthy, cheap dinners. She even has a gluten free section! This dish cost $2 to make!

Note after I made it: It would have been great had I not used instant brown rice. Way too mushy. Make sure you use regular brown rice and it should be great.
Ingredients3 cups chicken broth
3/4 cups green lentils, although any color will do
1/2 cup brown rice (NOT instant!)
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300.
2. Add broth, lentils, brown rice, chopped onion, and spices to 9×13-inch glass baking dish. Stir together and cover tightly with foil.
3. Bake at 300 for 1 hour and 10 minutes.
4. Remove foil and sprinkle shredded cheese over the top and return to oven and bake uncovered for 20 more minutes, or until cheese is completely melted.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Um, I would like the brown rice and lentil casserole recipe please!