Sunday, July 27, 2008

The CSA This Summer

I haven't posted as much about my CSA experience as I had planned to. I have really enjoyed having a big box of veggies waiting every couple of weeks. I am not going to lie, greens season was very tough until my friend, Josh Henderson, and my mom, both made some kicking kale (the key is a little sugar or apple to balance the bitter taste).

Here are some things I have made with my produce this season: Sauteed kale with apples, lots of salad with romaine, pesto (FABULOUS!), squash and zucchini quesadillas, squash and zucchini lasagna, blackberry and blueberry cobbler, Carmel apple pork chops (YUM and healthier than the sound-http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Caramel-Apple-Pork-Chops/Detail.aspx), onions in everything, steamed broccoli, steamed squash and zucchini, grilled squash and zucchini slices on the George Forman, vegetable salsa (chopped squash/zucchini, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, black beans, and seasonings mixed together and eaten with crackers), squash and hummus sandwiches, roasted red cabbage, tomato and onion salad, BLTs, veggie omelets, roasted beets (yuck), tomato/mozzarella/olive oil toss, and roasted potatoes.  I love fresh produce!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I think I've had those cabbage things. I need to make me some- they sound so good!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

So have we actually MET yet, Caroline? I mean, in the shake hands, "Nice to meet you!" sort of way? I keep looking for you at church so we can be real-life friends instead of just blogger friends. Anyways, please flag me down if you see me first!

Morgan Holt said...

Your little menus sound so good and good for you! :) I wanted to tell you that my blog officially went private a couple of days ago so if you want to read it, then let me know and I'll add you to the list of readers. I'm trying not to leave anyone out since I had to do it so quickly. Just send me your email address (mholt52403@gmail.com) or you can even tell me on facebook or something. :)

Shelley said...

I am so impressed with your cooking. I wish I had the time and energy to try some of that.