Monday, April 25, 2005

Spring Retreat

As I mentioned, this weekend was the Spring Retreat. It was great. I emailed my parents to remind them that I would be without cellphone should they need me, and my mama emailed back saying, "Have fun, and remember a lot can happen when you are out in the fresh air." I replied back in my typical smart-aleck response saying, "That's what I'm hoping for."

I really can't remember when I have laughed so much. I mean seriously. It got a little out of control. We went up Friday night. I picked up Mary Puilias (contrary to my belief the first month I knew her- the Puilias is not optional, it's part of her first name. I thought it was my choice, but I was wrong) and Tiara (FYI- none of my Nashville friends have normal names). I love my friends. They share the agreement that at the end of a week of a work on a Friday afternoon when you are headed for a weekend retreat, it is okay not to chat nonstop the whole way. Instead we all greeted each other, got in the car, put in my ghetto cd, and sang the whole way up to the retreat, dancing when we felt so moved to do so. This released work stress and we arrived feeling good.

The speaker was awesome this weekend. He spoke on fearless living, and facing our fears that inhibit us from truly serving God, whether they be fears about the future, relationships, dreams, etc. It was an approch I have never heard of before, but I felt like he was talking to me, specifically about a certain aspect of my life right now. God can be so direct at times.

It was a great weekend. I am so blessed here. I say it often because I mean it. Holly and TJ came up Saturday night b/c TJ played for our evening worship service. Holly and I snuck away and were able to talk for a while about some things I am working through, and she left a note on my bed saying how blessed I was with yet another group. God has always been so good to bless me with great groups of friends from all my stages of life, and though I am unworthy, I am thankful.

I know I am 24, but I will admit, I brought my stuffed rabbit to sleep with. I am not a baby, I just have to hold something when I sleep. Does anyone else have to do this? I tried to hide it underneath my pillow so the girls wouldn't think I was a total looser, or worse yet, "no wonder she's on a singles retreat- she sleeps with stuffed animals still." Well, Holly noticed it and left a note that said, "Who's this little bunny guy? :)"

One thing I love about retreats is the excessive game playing. When do you ever play so many games? And I love games. Friday night we read through the cards of the game, "Would you rather?" Which was pretty risque at time, but if you can't be risque on a church retreat, where can you be? Saturday we played phase 10 while jamming to a mixed cd I brought (IceIce Baby, MC Hammer, etc. A few got a little offended when "Baby Got Back" came on- I can't imagine why.)

Saturday night we had a devo and then afterwards, someone started singing overly used campfire songs as a joke. Well one thing led to another and the next thing you know, we are all belting out old gospel songs in exaggerated southern accents and songs like "Pass it on - it only takes a spark to get a fire started...." and "Arky Arky." Not that these songs aren't good ones, I don't want to offend anyone, but it's good to be a part of a group of people who grew up in the same faith who appreciate some of the overuse of these songs in such situations. And also the fact that some of the messages proclaimed in these songs, though very true and often needed messages, greatly conflict with the music choice. The ultimate example of this is the upbeat song "Jesus is coming soon" where Church of Christers all over the world link arms and with smiles on our faces we excitedly proclaim in song "Many will meet their doom..."

Hope your weekend was as joyful as mine.

2 comments:

john alan turner said...

My weekend was just as joyful as yours -- for many of the same reasons. Thank you for your kind words, and I look forward to hearing how you put all the stuff we talked about into practice. Oh, and I loved the Saturday night singing!

KC said...

Caroline - I not only brought my own version of bunny (my teddy bear), I still have my blankie from when I was little. I know that there are others who share our security in stuffed animals. If you can't be real w/ your friends at a church retreat, when will you ever? Have a great week!!
KC