Sunday, April 08, 2012

Vegan Iced Coffee


Isn't that the prettiest thing you have ever seen?  I love how creamer looks in your coffee before you stir it in.  I LOVE iced coffee.  Love, love, love.  It has been a big helper in kicking my DP habit.  Because sometimes, water doesn't cut it.  But Iced Coffee is very tricky to make.  And ordering a Starbucks tall iced Coffee with soy and two pumps of classic can be hard on the ole' pocket book.  So I have learned to make my own.  I had several failed attempts, and have decided that Pioneer Woman's Cold Brew method truly is the best.  So strong so that the ice watering down doesn't effect it.  Except she adds like a can of Eagle Brand.  And my tummy can't handle that.  So I have taken her brewing process and added it with my favorite non-dairy creamers for an iced coffee that won't make you feel like you've just had 300 grams of sugar and 20 grams of fat. 

Step 1: Take a pound of local coffee.  I have a Keurig, so whenever I get bags of coffee at local restaurants, or get them as gifts, they go towards my Iced Coffee habit. Small disclaimer: I used to think grinding your own coffee beans was pretentious and an unnecessary step.  But then my taste buds enjoyed the flavor of fresh ground coffee beans and begged forgiveness for judging.  So grind your coffee if it is whole bean, and if it's already ground that's okay too.

Put the coffee grounds into a big bowl.  This is my mama's huge Tupperware bowl that she has had for at least 20 years.  At least.  I love it. They don't make it like that anymore.  Pour in 16 cups of cold water.
Stir the grounds and water together, just enough to make sure all of the grounds have been baptized with water.   Because if you aren't fully emerced it doesn't count. ;)
Cover that bad boy and let it sit for 8 hours. After 8 hours, line a colander with a coffee filter and place over another big empty bowl.  Strain the coffee water through the filter.  You may need to stop and change out filters a few time.  Once it's been strained, I double strain. Because nothing ruins a morning like a coffee ground in your coffee. Nothing.

After it's strained, you'll want to pour it into an adorable carafe you picked up at TJ Maxx Homegood Store and let it get good and cold. When it's time to serve, fill a glass with ice cubes.  Now I make this so strong that that the ice cubes never make it taste watered down.  But if you are nervous about watered down coffee and/or want to have heart palpitations, make some ice cubes out of old coffee and go on with your bad self. I am typically an optimistic person, but that coffee carafe is definitely half empty.  Time to make some more.


Fill the iced glass about 2/3rds with coffee.  Then add coconut milk and watch it slowly sink down.  Add a squirt of agave nectar, and if you really want some flavor, a dash of vanilla.  Stir it all up very very well.  It's best to keep a straw in there and stir occasionally so the sweet doesn't all go to the bottom.   I sip on 1 glass all morning and it doesn't weigh me down.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Tiara said...

I am so glad to know this! I will try my pioneer ways.

Tiara said...

I am so glad to know this! I will try my pioneer ways.

Tiara said...

I am so glad to know this! I will try my pioneer ways.