Friday, March 06, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie

I tried my hand in a gf chicken pot pie, and came out with a GREAT recipe that can be made either way. Pot pies get a bad rap, because most are made with canned soups and other processed ingredients. In addition, they are usually wrapped in a trans-fats laden crust. However, this is actually a recipe that can be a pretty balanced meal and a good way to get your veggies, lean protein, carbs, fiber if you use whole grains, and healthy fats. You can reduce the sodium by avoiding canned soups and canned vegetables. Make the soup per the recipe below, and use frozen or fresh veggies and you will cut down on a ton of sodium. You can control the amount and type of fat in your pie crust by making your own or buying an all natural pie crust mix with beneficial fats and whole grain flours. Most prebought pie crusts are laden in trans-fats, but here are a few exceptions.

Non GF people: If you want the convenience of using pre-made, stock up on these pie crusts next time you are at Whole Foods (Searcy peeps, just make a stop and grab some during your next trip to Little Rock). I will also voudge for their frozen cookie dough. YUM.



GF people: I used the Gluten Free Pantry Perfect Pie-Crust Mix, which was great. It passed the test when I served this to my non-gluten free family and friends. And by the way, it was only $3.75, which I thought was pretty reasonable for an all natural specialty food. The premade pillsbury crusts with all the shortening and preservatives are about that much. If you are ever having a gf friend over for dinner and want to serve a dessert, this crust is great for any basic pie recipe.





Recipe:
-1 box (4 cups/32 oz) all natural chicken broth
-1/4 cup milk or soy milk
-2 to 4 Tbs corn starch or xantham gum for thickening
-4 to 5 boneless skinless chicken tenderloins, or 2 breasts; cooked and shredded (I
cooked mine in the crock pot- less hassle)
-Any veggies you want. Here's what I did... 3 Tbsps diced onion, 1.5 cups frozen
corn, 1.5 cups frozen Lima beans, 1.5 cups frozen green beans. Other ideas...
carrots, peas, mushrooms, broccoli, etc.
-Pie crust
-Salt and pepper to taste

Prepare your pie crust into a sprayed pie pan or spring form pan and set aside. I prefer to make mine a double crust. In a large sauce pan on the stove, heat the milk, corn starch, and 3 cups of chicken broth to a slow boil. Whisk mixture to break up the clumps of corn starch and allow to thicken about 5-6 minutes. If the mixture has gotten too thick, use the rest of the broth to make it a thick chowder consistency. If it is too thin, add more cornstarch (just a little at a time and wait 2 minutes before adding more...it can get too thick too fast). Once it is the correct consistency, add salt and pepper. I threw in a little garlic and onion powder as well. Add your veggies and chicken, and allow all to heat for about 8 minutes. It's okay if the veggies are still frozen... they will cook in the oven.

Pour the ingredients into the prepared pie crust. Cover the top of the pie with the double crust, if desired.

Bake for about an hour at 375 until the crust is cooked. Keep your eye on it, as it may cook quicker or slower. I made this days ahead and froze it. Great meal!

No comments: