I in no way want to make light of the terrible natural disaster that has hit our nation over the past week. I think those who check this blog know me well enough to know this. But I had a total Caroline moment when watching the storm/flood coverage last week on the news. I was at the YMCA, trying to maintain a descent pace on the Eliptical whilst reading the captions on Larry King Live. They started reporting a story on how three seals were washed up onto dry pavement in New Orleans, and they were just laying on the pavement, dying. People were having to throw water on them to keep them alive, and they finally shot one to put it out of its misery. Very sad story and it made me tear up a little, although some of my friends told me to get a little perspective because it was just seals. They have feelings too, you know.
Well, the funny part is, I had just been reading a book which made a reference to Navy SEALS. So when I first read the captions on the screen, my mind automatically imagined 3 Navy SEALS washed in from the ocean and just lying on the pavement. And I thought, "Come on guys, why are you just laying there? America needs you!" And then as the report developed, I thought outloud (in the softest southern accent you can imagine), "Well, why are those people just throwing water on them? Why don't they help?" That's the point I did some deductive reasoning to myself and realized the story wasn't talking about SEALS, but seals.
No comments:
Post a Comment